[pct-l] Time line......

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 22 20:11:10 CDT 2011

Good evening, 'MOM,

Official rules don’t exist.  It is generally understood that a “thru hike”
is the completion of the trail, more-or-less continuously, within one
calendar year because that’s the way it’s done in 99.9% of the instances,
i.e. NoBo’s start in late spring and finish the following autumn, and SoBo’s
begin in June – depending upon the snow -- and finish in November.  Within
that profile there can be skip-arounds, flip-flops, etc. to book all the
miles.

I suppose there could be an instance where someone managed to complete the
hike by spanning the turn of the year, but in practice that would probably
be back-to-back section hikes.  However again, official rules don’t exist.

Neither PCTA for their award medallion, nor ALDHA-West for the Triple Crown
award, specify how long a hiker may/must take to complete the hike(s).  A
complete set of section hikes spanning 20+ years qualifies.

So... relax and start hiking.  By the time you're my age you will have had
plenty of time to complete the trail.

 Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09