[pct-l] Hikers over Yosemite falls

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jul 22 20:15:36 CDT 2011

On Jul 22, 2011, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> What's your stupidest thing that you've ever done in the
> wilderness? Maybe we can all learn from each other's mistakes.

Well, when I hiked from Santa Barbara to the PCT I had one more
connector trail to go to get to Interstate 5 near Hikertown. I
followed the trail and then it just ended. I got out my map and
identified all the peaks and identified Buck Creek canyon, which is
where I was supposed to follow the Buck Creek trail. I just couldn't
figure out how to get there. I searched around for an hour and
couldn't find a trail. I finally decided I better return up the
really steep hill I had come down and find the trail. I went only a
minute or two and then saw a perfect trail headed completely in the
wrong direction. It was such a perfect trail that I ignored the
little voice in my head telling me it's not the right way. I passed a
spring, just like the map said I would, a campsite just like the map
said I would, and then climbed a ridge and headed for Hungry Valley.
Woops. That's not right. Dang motorcycles! I was following a
motorcycle trail!

So I backtracked and saw some horse poop near the creek and followed
a faint trail down the creek. I ended up spending the next 4 hours
becoming increasingly desperate as I followed animal trails and
finally bushwacked down the creek through poison oak, stinging
nettles and wild roses. The rocks were slick and every time I stepped
in the creek I slipped on the rocks. I hit my head once. I had a
sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I had absolutely no
idea where I was and I could slip, hit my head and die and nobody
would ever find me. I tried to comfort myself with the fact that I
was heading downstream and all creeks would drain into Pyramid Lake
so at the very worst, I might have to flag down a boater to take me
to the other shore.

After 4 hours of desperation and on the verge of tears, I reached a
confluence with a large creek. I followed the large creek and found a
fence with a box on it. I opened the box and found angler survey
cards. It seemed to suggest I was on Piru Creek. Piru Creek? I looked
beyond the fence and there was a road. Could I be right next to
Hardluck Camp? I walked out and sure enough, I was right near
Hardluck Camp. I looked at my watch. It was 4pm. I had estimated that
following Buck Creek trail I'd be right at this very spot at 4pm.
What luck! I was fine and right on schedule!

I suppose that's not as stupid though as all the times I set my
alcohol stove right on the duff in Oregon and had to put out the
resulting fire with half a liter of water.