[pct-l] Hikers over Yosemite falls

Nitnoid1 nitnoid1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 11:48:16 CDT 2011

On the PCT near Badger Lakes, I was nearing the end of a long day. I was starting to get into the zone in order to make the miles needed to reach my campsite before nightfall.  When I zone it, I don't pay attention to details, such a roots. I therefore tripped on a root, and despite having two hiking poles, I fell on my stomach. This would have been the end of the story if it weren't for the steep slope at the edge of the trail and the smooth, pine needle covered ground where I landed. I started sliding downhill at great speed, face-first. Since my wrists were still trapped by the pole loops, I could not bring them forward to slow my Nantucket sleigh ride. I saw a smooth, large rock in my direct path. With no way to avoid it, and knowing the my head would hit first, I clenched my teeth and pursed my lips and had a head-on collision. My lips took the full force, but The rock stopped the stomach sleigh ride. My teeth were numb and lips were bloody and obviously cut. But I survived despite myself. Later on, a hiker came by. I asked him how I looked. He said pretty bad.  I thought, chicks dig scars and bones heal.

That's my stupid is as stupid does incident. Don't daydream on the trail.

No trail name suggestions please ;-)

The Incredible Bulk