[pct-l] Etna

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jul 24 08:48:20 CDT 2011

Good morning, John,

I did much the same thing last year before I left my car and hiked between
Etna Summit and the Cal/Or border.  The road distance between the PCT at
Etna Summit and the town of Etna is approximately 10 miles.  The road is
paved but infrequently traveled by locals and light commerce.  When clear of
snow it is easily drivable even in my low-slung little passenger car, but
its mostly steep – peaking at 6,000 ft. -- and it has many low-speed
switchbacks.  I did not see any of the typical closure gates.  I haven’t
been there in this high-snowpack season but I expect it will be open; a call
to someone – such as the local police or Hiker Hut – would probably verify
its condition.

Rides to and from Etna and the PCT were greatly appreciated because while
the local civilian traffic is friendly and often willing to pick up
hiker-trash, there just isn’t much traffic, and most of the
commercial/governmental traffic is not allowed to pick up hitch-hikers.  I
suppose some hikers have walked part, or all, of the road but that would be
a real dose.

I car-camped in the area of the summit but at that time there was no
snowpack.  Along the upper portion of the road there are turn-outs and
little side roads where one could camp.  I made 2-3 trips per day, hanging
around the summit, Hiker Hut, or any of the local hiker attractions, i.e.
restaurants, internet library, etc.  Etna is a small town; if someone is
providing rides the word soon spreads within “the family”.

Bless you for being willing to help.

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09