[pct-l] Water source north of Crater Lake?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jul 25 17:52:30 CDT 2011

Good afternoon, Tom,

You didn’t say when you will hike but Red Cone Spring is about 3.5 miles
west of the hiker PCT on the designated PCT, i.e. near the north end of the
“horse route”.  It is just southwest of the Red Cone map feature.  In my
opinion, that round-trip 7 miles would be better spent continuing north on
the main PCT route.  The next option is a detour to Diamond Lake.  Third, is
the seasonal melt water opportunity probable around the base of Thielsen in
this heavy snowpack year.

A longer dry stretch is normally between Thielsen Creek and Summit Lake,
however there are some off-trail water sources particularly in this wet
year.

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09