[pct-l] Question for thru-hikers: How many are using music to get thru the snow?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jul 25 20:58:37 CDT 2011

I did not have any snow to get through in 2008 and 2009. But I was
totally alone. I did not hike with anyone. I found that there was
plenty to think about and look at. It seemed like something was
happening every second of the day. I was never bored. Meanwhile,
music was always playing in my head. It often got very annoying. I
mostly had Dan Fogelberg's Leader of the Band or Pachelbel's Canon
playing over and over in my head. The latter especially matched the
limping, lurching walk I eventually developed, and the melody lent
itself to endless, circular repetitions and variations that I could
make up myself, not being entirely familiar with the entire piece.
Leader of the Band, having words, tended to get stuck in a loop of
the words I could remember. I also would get Irish jigs and reels
stuck in my head because I had been learning to play the pennywhistle
before I left on my journeys. With those I could erase them from my
head by pulling out my whistle and playing them a few times. After a
while, I didn't like breaking the silence of the woods and Fogelberg
and Pachelbel filled my head instead when I wasn't listening to my
little bird friends, the chickadees and some other common bird. I
would always wish my bird friend was the same bird and would actually
come and be my friend. There are strange things you think about when
you are all alone for months on end.

Diane