[pct-l] Hefty sliders vs. Ziplock

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 12:56:05 CDT 2011

HI Tortoise,
Based on my experience with bags; this year I will be storing all food (both horse feed and my food) in Ziploc heavy duty double zipper freezer bags. I will use the larger ones for horse feed and the smaller ones for my food.  I am very careful to squeeze out all the air possible.  In camp, at night, (and in my caches) I transfer all of the bags into OPsaks to avoid having food smells attract critters. If bears are a concern, in camp, cover the transparent sacks to get them out of sight - if the bear seesthe food inside the transparent bag it might well tear it open. They are very smart!  This is not true of rodents - I have found that even if they can see the food they will not try to get it. Just be careful that you seal the bag properly and that there are no food smells on the outside of the bag. I have never used the sliders. They would probably work fine.  But realize in planning, that the only bags that prevent food smells from escaping are the
 OPSaks - and that Bear Canisters do not prevent food smells from escaping.

Have a great hike,
MendoRider