[pct-l] Bag/Quilt Warmth

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Jul 26 15:40:45 CDT 2011

I have never stuff my nunatak, 20 degree, 19 oz quilt, and it continues
to warm me in sub-freezing temps.  I too read Jardine, and took what he
said about compression with a grain of salt.  That said, it made sense
not to stuff the quilt.  Lower quality down bags do compress and don't
bounce back - me experience over the years.  800 and above down should
be ok.  I use a Golite Gust - a big sack - and the quilt goes on top in
a garbage bag.  The pack always looks full, even when 2/3rd filled with
quilt...

Jeffrey Olson
Santa Rosa, CA