[pct-l] Tent on a PCT Hike Thru

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 08:16:48 CDT 2011

Hello Chuck,

My earliest overnight backpacking experience was a Sierra trip in 1952 when I was in the 10th grade. For that, I had purchased a war-surplus backpack and a cheap kapok-filled sleeping bag.  The pack was poorly designed and was uncomfortable. The sleeping bag was even worse as there apparently was nothing to keep the kapok spread out evenly - I recall that I could see the stars through the bag and had to sleep in my clothes on a cold night to stay warm. For the next year I bought a Kelty pack (One of his first. He was working out of his garage in Glendale, Calif.) and a down sleeping bag.

During the 1950's I never backpacked with more than one or two companions. More often I went alone. Most of those hikes were in the Sierra, fishing, climbing and exploring off the established trails - going cross-country.  I visited and camped in places where there was no sign that anyone had ever been there before. I loved being alone in unspoiled places like that. I never used a tent, just a tarp large enough to be pulled over my bag if it rained.  I did sometimes suffer from the mosquitoes and other bugs. I didn't use a sleeping pad or an air mattress either.  In those days I just scoped out what we called a "hip hole", and lined it with pine needles.

Then, when I got married in 1959, we sometimes brought a tent and had air mattresses. Most often we didn't bring the tent and slept under the stars. We enjoyed many great backing adventures in California, Oregon and Washington in the decades to follow.

Today, on the PCT, I bring a lightweight free-standing tent and usually use only the insect netting part, as my horse and I like to see each other and I do like to star-gaze and look at the trees above. I don't stuff,( aggressively compress ) my bag while on the trail. Actually, I carry it in my knapsack along with other survival gear (in case I'm ever separated from my horse, and possibly alone and injured.)  I have, and love, my Thermarest self-inflating, 48" long air mattress. When rolled up in it's bag it takes up very little space in my cantle bag. One thing that I like about it is that, unlike a sleeping pad, it is adjustable - you can decide how soft or hard depending on how much air you put in. The self-inflated amount of air is usually fine for me - but not always.  Sometimes I make adjustments.

Like everything else related to hiking or riding on the PCT, from experience, each person will discover what works best for them.

Have a great day.  When will you return to the trail this season?

MendoRider

.