[pct-l] OREGON SECTION E

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 14:34:25 CDT 2011

> Last week the grandson and myself did a small section hike
> of the PCT from
> McKenzie Pass to Hwy 20.  There was still some deep
> snow pack in  spots.
> We had researched the area and thought that the snow was
> higher up  but it is
> patch at 4,000 to 6,000 feet.  We camped at Belknap
> Crater Summit  and then
> turned around since we could see quite a bit of snow
> (patchy) heading
> northbound.

That was probably a good call.  There's some deep forest on Mt. Washington once you get through the burn area and snow could linger there from lack of sun exposure.

> DO NOT MELT THE ICE  OR
> SNOW IF YOU SEE ANY PINK OR YELLOW DISCOLORATION AT ANY
> DEPTH!!  There  is a
> bacterium or algae that are growing in "old snow ice packs"
> that can cause
> serious health issues.

Yes, eating pink snow can give you the runs.  I'm not sure how it gets cleaned out between snow and the streams that flow from it, though.  I saw a LOT of the pink algae on the snow covering the Wickiup Plain last weekend.

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR