[pct-l] Tarp shelters

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jul 31 17:57:20 CDT 2011

Good afternoon, Mike,

My primary objective is to sleep out, under the stars, with all of the
associated freedom, while having the option to erect protection for the
10-15% of the time when the weather threatens to turn wet.  I want that
protection to be adequate – by my standards -- but minimal because weight is
the secondary concern.  Protection against mosquitoes, or any other
real/perceived terror-of-the-night, is a weak tertiary concern.

When sleeping out, I choose a site to reduce the nuisance of ants, and I go
to sleep wearing a head-net to keep the mosquitoes at bay; removing it if I
awake later in the night when the cold air grounds them.  Not all hikers
can/will abide the whinny little buggers:  I can because I have considerable
high-frequency hearing loss – I barely hear them – and I will because it is
a low-weight position.

I must also deal with dew on the outside, top of my bag in the morning, but
many/most of the enclosed, single-wall shelters also have condensation
issues which can similarly dampen a bag.

I’m not a big bivy fan, although many experienced hikers swear by them.  It
seems to me they are a relatively heavy solution in search of a problem, as
is – again in my opinion – most of the GoreTex-type stuff.

You must determine for yourself what your objectives and methods will be,
but if enclosed shelter is the answer the options you mention are good ones.

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09