[pct-l] Current Snow Conditions, Forester Pass

PCT List pctlist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:35:24 CDT 2011

I laughed so hard I was in tears!

Yes, let's charge headlong into snow clogged mountains with an
experienced mountaineering instructor and then encourage hikers with
average abilities to do the same *without the instructor*, because
"you can do it".

Oh, and do this list of 20 things....

Waiting for the snow to melt isn't an option? Good grief.

Sounds like someone is trying to drum up business for the mountain rescue folks.

-postholer

I recently completed Ned's snow advanced course from Kennedy Meadows
to Onion Valley/Independence.

My deep gratitude to Mountain Ned and HR Huff-and-Puff for getting me
thru the trail and back to our cars safely.  No way would I do such a
trek alone.

What I learned (and I'm a small woman....):

1. Obviously, be prepared. When my partner left midway (elevation
sickness) I only had map and compass.  The GPS is such a wonderful
instrument, but I wouldn't have begun to understand the map as well as
I did without Mtn Ned and HR were discussing the trail conditions
every day.  Make sure you look UP in the direction you need to head,
besides looking down at your feet.

2. Be well-balanced.  I cannot repeat this rule enough. My first trek
thru Washington in snow last year I was miserable in trail runners
only. This year I had Merrell leather boots and aluminum crampons.
(Side note: BEFORE leaving the store, check the sizes of both pieces
of footware - my left crampon was packaged incorrectly as a larger
size, which I didn't try on before leaving the store, and we had to
patch it with duct tape to make it work for me. Still it slid off my
heel unless I tightened the straps super tight.)  By well-balanced I
mean that you will hardly ever be walking on flat snowy terrain.
Traversing on snow bumps in hard all day long. Traversing on snowly
slopes approaching 50 degrees of slope is downright scary. You want
SECURE footing - HR tried the microspikes which worked for him going
up/down snow bumps/slopes but just balled up with snow on the
traverses. And you mostly do traverses since you are bypassing
switchbacks in the trail
 to save yourself mileage every day. Microspikes and aluminum crampons
don't have a significant weight difference. Make the smart choice.