[pct-l] PCT 2015

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jun 4 12:52:45 CDT 2011

1) Plan for 4 years or 4 weeks in advance. Then throw your plans out
the window because they'll be worthless after a week or two on the
trail.

2) Why wait? Start hiking now! Hike sections of the PCT or hike other
trails. Get to know your partner well in advance of committing to 5
months together. Get to know yourself, too, and your gear and how to
use it and what foods you like and what shoes work for you and how
fast or how many miles you like to hike and whether your gear is too
heavy or whether you are the kind of person who needs full mosquito
protection to sleep or can just use a headnet and baseball hat and be
happy.

The wilderness is too wonderful to wrap it up in a little box with
the words "PCT Thru Hike" on it and put it on a shelf not to be
touched before or after. Even though I hiked the whole trail over two
summers in a row, I hiked a few sections before my long distance
hikes, and I continue to hike it now after and continue to hike other
trails too just because it's too wonderful to make backpacking in the
wilderness just a one-time experience.