[pct-l] Hiker Trash

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Jun 5 15:31:03 CDT 2011

Pigs are pigs. Talking to them won't change most of them; they're in a world
of their own.

Unfortunately, the time spent picking up other folk's trash along the way
can really add up. Just the space it takes up in your pack can be enough to
discourage all but the truly dedicated. I didn't go hiking to pick up
someone's garbage and carry it for multiple days whilst generating my own.
I'll pick up one quart baggie worth, but that's about it.  Solid trash gets
priority over paper and food scraps. Sorry, but I need the rest of my OP
sack capacity for my own trash and used TP.

Day hikes and overnight/weekend trips are different. We routinely carry
extra trash bags just for cleaning up after the uncaring, mindless slobs. My
wife and I even picked up a discarded, dirty, and very soggy sleeping bag
along the Eagle Creek Trail in the Columbia Gorge, but only because we knew
there was a trash can located at the trailhead.