[pct-l] Dogs on PCT

Jay Davis jayd215 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 18:48:27 CDT 2011

Hey Andrew,

I haven't conditioned my dog yet for longer distance hiking (just
adopted her a few months ago), but I'm also planning to take her out
on a few shorter PCT trips in the coming years. Very cool!

I section hiked Mt. Thielsen to Mt. Hood last fall (I'm doing the
whole trail bit by bit). I saw a lot of local folks out with dogs,
even in the rain.

I'm no expert on hiking with dogs yet, but I've heard a lot of folks
say that most dogs won't go more than 5-7 days without starting to
look pretty tired and ready to go home. They don't have the same goal
orientation we have as humans to finish a particular section. The
biggest advice I'd give you based on what I've read and heard is to
make sure the trip you're planning is within your dog's conditioning,
and don't push your dog too hard to make a certain number of miles or
days with you. Bring your dog for trips you know it can handle.
Probably something you've already thought about.

Oregon was very rainy last August. I'm not sure what is expected this
year, but you might want to pack some rain gear for your dog,
depending on how late in the summer you go. And make sure there's
space for your dog in your tent in case you need to hunker down while
a storm passes.

The trail from Thielsen to Hood (and for most of Oregon) is pretty
mild and mellow, without a lot of big elevation change. Some of the
trails around Three Sisters have volcanic rocks on them that could be
pretty tough on paws. Ditto for south of Mt. Washington. You might
want to pack some booties or just pick and choose which trails you
take your dog on.

Good luck and safe travels,

Nap