[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 42, Issue 11

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:59:39 CDT 2011

Message: 11
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:12:08 -0700
From: Cole Ferguson <colefer at comcast.net>
Subject: [pct-l] Avoiding snow in Northern Cal.
To: pct-l at backcountry.net

Hello my name is Cole,  ..... Is there too much snow to get through from Mt.
Lassen?  Would I be better off starting farther south or north?  This is my
first time and I am unsure of how much snow to expect.
Thank you

Cole, it depends on how far you're going and how fast.  Right now at Highway
36 near Chester the forest is clear of snow.  The snow level hereabouts is
about 7000+ feet and melting fast because of the (finally) warm weather
we've been having.  That means that streams and rivers are full and fast.

The highest point you'll go through Lassen Park is below 7000 feet and you
should be fine.  Snow levels should be ok until you leave Castle Crags, then
I defer to those who live closer to that area.  There is still significant
snow on east-facing inclines at elevations below 7000 feet.

Hope this helps.
Piper's Mom
Chester area.