[pct-l] Avoiding snow in Northern Cal.

Gregory L. Colvin colvin at adlercolvin.com
Mon Jun 13 12:39:06 CDT 2011

Cole, welcome to the PCT.

My kids and I are section-hiking from Mexico to Canada, up to Yosemite
so far, but due to heavy snow we skipped north to the Burney area and
just finished 5 days of day-hiking, 3 over Memorial Day weekend and 2
this last weekend.  We encountered patches of snow between 5000 and 6000
feet on the forest roads, which affected our access to the trail.  Still
we hiked 60 miles from Old Station almost to Peavine Creek north of
Burney Falls just fine.

Driving, we couldn't get up to Badger Flat on the northside of Lassen
Park, and we couldn't actually get to Peavine Creek, both due to snow on
the roads.  But if you're backpacking and can get on the trail
somewhere, you may get a lot farther than we did.  If Lassen is still
snowbound, I'd recommend starting at Old Station and my guess is you
could get all the way through to Castle Crags OK.  Lots of downed trees
and brush on the trail; it hasn't been maintained yet.

But beautiful and perfect hiking weather!  Gorgeous waterfalls.  Flowers
and butteflies.  We saw zero other PCT hikers, section or thrus.

Good luck.

Greg Colvin