[pct-l] Section i Conditions (North of Tuolumne Meadows)

jake irjake at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 15:21:22 CDT 2011

PCT Hikers -

Wing It and I were forced to turn around from our hike shortly after leaving
Tuolumne Meadows.

We experienced significant high water in the 15 Miles North of Tuolumne
Meadows.  The Tuolumne River overflowed the ends of the bridge at 947.4 and
the one shortly after.  Our real problems were in Virginia Canyon (956.7).
 The first crossing, McCabe Creek, was the most dangerous and difficult ford
we had encountered to date.  However, the next creek was worse.  We could
not make it across Return Creek.  We made 3 attempts, 2 in the evening
(5ish) and 1 the next morning (8ish).  We scouted 1/2 mile upstream and
found no safer crossings.

There was evidence (footprints in the snow), that some or all of the 4
hikers ahead of us turned back as well.

Our decision to leave and flip ahead are based on 2 primary factors.  The
Return Creek crossing is not known as a particularly difficult ford, whereas
the Piute River ford and Kerrick Canyon fords just ahead are.  All
indications are that water levels are not going to be going down
significantly soon, and that the peak of the melt has not even happened yet.

However you proceed, best of luck and safe hiking.

Don't Panic and Wing It