[pct-l] Fw: Getting to the trail!

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 13:32:21 CDT 2011

Hi Lauren,

Hitching from Etna to Yreka was really easy.  I got a ride in less than a minute.  People who live in small towns near the PCT are aware of hikers.  My ride was from a Back Country Horseman who was a volunteer menber of the Lyons Pride (John Lyons is the leader - his ranch in Etna is the Lyons Den).  I had left my rig there having driven it up from Castella,  where I had left my horse in safe care with a family who had horses. I was aware of the Greyhound Bus schedule and my ride dropped me off at a Greyhound stop. I was there about 15 minutes before the Bus came. The Greyhound stopped at Shasta City. I got off there because they will not stop at either Dunsmuir or Castella.  Then I hiked the fairly short distance to an onramp to I5.  There was a large side area there where truckers could stop. An 18 wheeler was stopped, the driver eating his lunch. I was hitching 50' away.  I had a PCT bandana with a sign saying HIKER TO TOWN - CASTELLA.
 The trucker called me over and offered me a ride to Castella. He explained that he was not supposed to give rides to hitch-hikers but did it anyway since I did not need to go far.

When hitching, it helps a lot to use that bandana with a sign pinned on indicating a nearby town that you want to reach.  And also if you flash a friendly smile.  If you attended the KICKOFF you will have a bandana given to you. If you did not Donna Saufley at Hiker Heaven might have one left there by a hiker.

MendoRider