[pct-l] tents

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Jun 28 12:11:10 CDT 2011

Good morning, Daniel,

Many thousands of PCT miles have passed under my sneakers without a tent.  I
sleep under the stars except in the fairly rare event that rain threatens.  My
shelter is a 10-12 ounce tarp plus a 3.2 ounce ground cloth.  I find a
normal tent “footprint” to be too heavy, and most tent flys require use of
the normal tent pole set – also too heavy.  My two trekking poles are used
to erect the tarp.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264203
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264203

Mosquitoes?   I sleep wearing a head-net until about midnight when they quit
prowling, at which point I remove it.

Enjoy your hike,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye