[pct-l] conditions Old Station to Dunsmuir

Justin West cjustinwest at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:37:52 CDT 2011

 My partner and I just did Old Station to Barney State Park.  This is all
totally clear of snow, and water can be had at caches at the hat creek rim
overlook, as well as the Cache 22 at fsr 22.  Also available in a very
shallow creek along the hat creek rim after the fire lookout tower.  After
barney, we met Spoonman, Hikeaholic, and Tweener who were coming southbound.
They hit '25-30' miles of hard snowpack bwtween barney state park and
dunsmuir.  Trail was non existent and route finding was difficult, as the
trail seemingly foolishly follows the ridge along the north face.  We also
have heard reports from the store owner at Seiad that above 5000 feet there
as well there is still heavy snow.  None of this compares to the Sierra, but
folks thinking about bumping north should keep in mind that they will still
be hitting snow.
justin