[pct-l] Timberline trail conditions

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 16:04:01 CDT 2011

Steel-Eye can't be far wrong. My wife and I went up the Eagle Creek Trail
all the way to Wahtum Lake this weekend. The first snow across the trail was
at 3700 feet, about 100 vertical feet below Wahtum Lake. It's patchy, but
you can get through without any trouble. The trail itself was very wet.

Wahtum Lake was ice-free and beautifully green, as usual. The real on-trail
snow began at the lake at the junction of the Eagle Creek Trail 440 and the
PCT from Indian Springs. The snow was virtually solid from there, and about
18 inches deep. We had intended to take the Wahtum Express Trail up to the
PCT at Chinidier Mtn, but I lost it after about 200 yards in big snow
patches. We came back down the ECT to our car.

We met several hikers who had come up the Ruckel Ridge Trail 405 onto the
Benson Plateau. They reported about 2 miles of solid snow (2-3 feet deep)
under the trees across the Benson Plateau and patches of various lengths on
to Wahtum Lake.

Wandering Bob