[pct-l] tents

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jun 29 08:16:59 CDT 2011

Good morning, John,

Except for late-season in Washington I rarely pitch the shelter:  Maybe once
every two weeks.  In SoCal I pitched twice in the San Jacintos.  In the
Sierras I once pitched one day north of Kennedy Meadows, then not at all
except on three consecutive snowy nights I did share the two-person tent of
another hiker in lieu of pitching my own.  My impression is that I pitch
more often than that, but I live about 20 miles west of the PCT in N. Oregon
and hike regularly in that area, so I’m probably remembering many of the
early and late season short trips.

The sleeping bag is one of the last items packed.  Below it will be the
tarp, ground cloth, small-item ditty bag, the clothes bag – small as it is,
most food stored in a sack(s) or in the bear ‘can, plus most of the water.
 Above the sleeping bag would be the day-food sack, the water I’ll be
pouring into my bottle, and maybe my fleece jacket if I wore it first thing
in the morning then removed it soon after beginning to hike.

My little pack has no structure so my accordion-folded foam sleeping pad
stands upright against my back.  Inside the folds of the pad is a Ziploc
with the bulk of my maps.  The pack has three outside mesh pockets.  The
back pocket usually has my thin windshirt, an empty garbage sack for use
when fording, and a Ziploc with my day-maps.  One side pocket has my water
bottle and kerchief, while the other side has DEET and sunscreen plus small
sacks – one containing potty items, and the other with water purification
items.  When I – rarely – carry an ice axe and/or crampons they get attached
to the outside back of the pack.

The sleeping pad against my back plus the tarp and ground cloth in the
bottom against my butt keep the sweat from soaking through to the sleeping
bag – a bigger concern than you may think.

Theoretically the load distribution might be improved by moving the
relatively heavy food and water storage above the sleeping bag, but I like
to remove the sleeping bag sometime early in the day to spread it in the sun
during a break, and having it near the top of the pack encourages me to do
so.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09