[pct-l] Huge landslide on Mt. Rainier

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jun 29 09:12:42 CDT 2011

Good morning, Eric,

Thanks, that is a truly remarkable video.  Judging from the brown color of
the flow I suspect it is “only” an avalanche with associated landslide rock
rather than being a lahar.

Years ago I was in REI and overheard a Yuppie-type guy say to a clerk, “I’m
going hiking in the mountains.  What do I need to be sure I’ll be safe?”  I
don’t know what they sold him but I’ll bet included a plastic whistle and a
bear-bell.  Since then, every time I cross the chute beneath one of the many
glaciers on these Pacific NW stratovolcanoes and stare up at about 900
thousand tons of potential pyroclastic flow I have to think how safe I’d be
if I only had my plastic whistle and a bear-bell.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09