[pct-l] Transit options for Northern California

ckwrkornge at aol.com ckwrkornge at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 18:17:32 CDT 2011

Hello,

Here is some info for getting around in Nor Cal:

For those of you in Redding trying to get to Burney:  It is easy to get to Burney from Redding.  The Burney Express Bus runs from downtown Redding twice a day M - F at 10:35 am and  5:35 pm.  The cost is $4.50.  The Redding Transit center is at 1530 Yuba St.  The town of Burney is ~7 miles from the trail.  Get supplies from WinCo or Trader Joe's in Redding.  There is also an outfitter near TJ's.

If you are trying to get to Castella and hike south:  Take the Coast Starlight train to Dunsmuir.  You can try to chat up someone on the train or hitch from Dunsmuir to Castle Crags; it is only about 6 miles to Castle Crags from Dunsmuir and the locals are usually friendly.  Dunsmuir has a small supermarket.

There is a Greyhound stop at Weed, CA.  Monday - Friday the Siskiyou stage bus runs between Weed and Dunsmuir.  However, it might be easier to take a greyhound to Redding and get to Burney.

The last time I was able to see the Eddys they were mostly free of snow on south facing slopes, however, there is snow above 6500 feet on north and east aspects.  This would include the PCT around Deadfall lakes.

If I manage to arrange a shuttle this weekend I will post to the list.

Best,

EnviroPyro