[pct-l] recent precip in So Cal

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 11:34:12 CST 2011

Class of 2011...consider yourself lucky in at least one respect.

With all this precip in So Cal this winter, it's increasingly probable you'll
have plentiful water (at least by desert standards) for the first 700 miles of
the trail.

2006 was a high precip / snow year - this year seems to be similar so far.  I
can't begin to count the number of water sources there were on my thru.  More
than once I loaded up at a 'reliable' source expecting 10-15 miles to the next
'reliable' source, only to pass the 3 'seasonal' sources flowing strong, as well
as another half dozen unlisted sources flowing strong.

But....better to have an extra liter than to fall a liter short.  Check the
water report.

That said, there were still long stretches without water.  The 28 mile or so dry
stretch in the section between Mojave and Walker Pass comes to mind.

One other upside:  Pounding through the snow of the high Sierra in mid June
meant no bugs.  I didn't encounter serious 'skeeters until approaching
Yosemite.  I hear the folks in 2007 (low snow year) were eaten alive by way of
contrast.

Standard disclaimers follow:
YMMV, HYOH, 2 cents, opinions and back sides, yadda, yadda, yadda......