[pct-l] Chaos On The PCT

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:59:42 CST 2011

I never thought about the fact that sleeping in a hammock causes less damage
to the ground underneath. That's pretty awesome! I'd consider it if I was
going solo, but I couldn't imagine it being easy to fit two people
comfortably in a hammock all night. :)

Two years ago when I was on a trail crew in Central Washington, both my crew
leaders were hammockers. One of the rangers stopped by to visit us and bring
us some much-appreciated drinks... and was really interested in one of my
crew leaders' hammocks. He asked if my crew leader had thought about doing
something to protect the tree from girdling. His advice was to stick some
sticks upright in the loop around the tree to minimize the line rubbing into
the tree bark. I read on the LNT blog that you're supposed to use 2" to 4"
wide straps - they call them "tree saver straps."

You all who hammock, what do you think about this?