[pct-l] Chaos On The PCT

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:19:18 CST 2011

Hillary, there are "double wide" hammock made for couples, but I've not
heard good reviews. Haven't bad either, but I don't hear people talk about
using them much. I don't recommend it. I can't imagine you would sleep well.
What you can do if you want to hammock with a partner, is share a tree for
one end. This limits your tree options a little as you now need to find 3
trees in the right position. Sometimes you can find 4 trees in perfect
position to hang the hammocks right next to each other. Both of these
options really only work well in good weather as they negate the ability to
hang a tarp easily. It can be done though, and someone on hammock forums
made a tarp specifically designed to cover two hammocks pitched using 3
trees. I can share the link if you want to see it.

I use straps for my attachment to the trees, as do all the hammockers I
know. I don't use 2" wide webbing though. My old straps are only 1/2" and
I've never seen any evidence of damage to the tree, but I'm aware that I
could be crushing the cambium(?) under the bark. I'm going to have 3/4"
webbing on the PCT. I've heard of the stick idea too, but never tried it. It
one of those, "can't hurt, might help" sort of things.