[pct-l] Crampons, really?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Mar 2 13:50:40 CST 2011

Let's say it for the last time this pre-season: NO

Authentic, climbing-quality 10 or 12-point crampons are not only not needed
and over-kill but are dangerous in the thru hiker application.

Traction aides like the Katoola Microspikes
http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php may help in dealing with early
morning crusty conditions on the flats or slight inclines and on glare ice
on the flats. As Katoola says, "they're ideal for anything from wet rocks to
slick sidewalks and icy driveways, or even the added confidence that comes
along with extra traction on the trail."

What concerns us as Wilderness Skills Educators, here at Mountain Education,
is how they perform when you are using them beyond their intended scope, as
when ascending on a crusty morning's traverse to a Sierra Pass, your ankle
rocks over downhill, and you have to make a wild step to catch your balance,
relying on that rubber band that holds the chains around your shoes to stay
in place. We hope to be testing both the Microspikes and KTS devices this
spring on the snow and typical ice of the southern PCT, so we'll let you
know afterward what we thought of them. Until then, something is better than
nothing. That leaves only one other problem,

Wet snow build-up between the spikes. When not on ice or crusty conditions
where the snow is really cold, warmer, wet snow tends to ball-up between
lugs in your boots and, in this case, spikes on your crampons (whether you
have the microspikes or the KTS variety). We've even had softball-sized
masses under our feet in these conditions. Now, keep in mind that on some
mornings you will often walk between ice/crust and sunny/wet snow as you go
from sun to shade to sun. The traction aide device will be no good to you in
this typical springtime situation; as a matter of experience, if this starts
happening to you, take them off and route-find around any icy conditions if
you can (stay in the sun, follow the ridge, etc).

So, please, folks, you do not need full-on crampons in the springtime
Sierra!
What you will need is to learn how to safely navigate and travel over snow,
ascend, traverse, and descend, and cross creeks.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd