[pct-l] Spring High Sierra Skills Courses

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Mar 2 16:44:26 CST 2011

Mountain Education has often been asked if they would branch out their on-trail skills instructional trips to include Spring/Summer. Since what we do is to teach you how to be safe out there, to include:

- Safety planning, training, and consideration before your trip (to also include re-supplies and emergency situations),
- How to deal with following a trail buried under snow, below and above timberline, ascent, traverse, and descent,
- On-trail safety hazards, whether snow-related or dealing with mud, flooded trail, nasty creek crossings, environmental awareness, fire-related, flora and fauna issues, food and camp safety, and personal requirements (like LNT and sanitation),

we are considering offering a series of Spring/Summer Skills Training trips (of up to three weeks in length) to help thru hikers (and of course other backpackers, too!) realize what it exactly "takes" to navigate the High Sierra, especially if they are thinking of doing a Long Trail in their future.

Would this be of interest?

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education