[pct-l] San Gorgonio Pass to Hwy 74 (Pines to Palms Highway)

Halfmile list at lon.net
Thu Mar 3 13:08:35 CST 2011

Devon,
Sounds like a fun adventure to me.

A couple of comments:
If you hiked northbound from Hwy 74 you would have 3,500 feet less
climbing and a more gradual climb to start. You would also have the
option of bailing down the Spitler Peak trail and walking an alternate
route into Idyllwild (see my Section B Maps) if the you decide you are
not comfortable going on when you get to Apache Peak.

You could run into ice and want crampons/ice axe. They might have more
info here:
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net