[pct-l] Back From Canada

TOM AND JOANNE BALCOM tombalcom785 at msn.com
Thu Mar 3 15:18:01 CST 2011

From: tombalcom785 at msn.com
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:08:37 -0800

Regarding "back from Canada:"

In 2003, when I reached Stehekin in early September, a fire was burning across the PCT at Harts Pass.  The rangers gave me maps of an alternate trail from High Pass.  I took the Thunder Creek Trail to Diablo Lake, then hiked about 4 miles east on Hwy 20 to Ross Lake.  Then took the East Bank Trail which follows the shoreline of Ross Lake. After about 5 hours, I reached the Lightning Creek Trail Junction.  I followed Lightning Creek for a mile or two, then took the Three Fools Trail.  The Three Fools Trail is about 25 miles long paralleling the border and ties to the PCT at Castle Pass. In 2003, the trail was not well maintained.  It was brushy with a lot of blow downs. It rained all day and when I reached 6000 ft elevation the rain turned to rain-snow mix. I was crossing a prairie and lost the trail as there was also a thick fog coming and going. It took me several minutes to find rock cairns spaced about 100 yds apart to find the trail again.
Diablo Lake has a large campground and it shouldn't be too hard to catch a ride.

Stretch