[pct-l] budget gear list for pct?

Gary Swing homelessontherange at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 16:52:41 CST 2011

Whereabouts do you live? And when are you starting out on the PCT?

I'm in Denver and I've found a lot of good deals at seasonal gear sales. The Colorado Mountain Club has gear swaps in the spring and fall. REI stores have member only gear sales that are kind of hit or miss. Other mountaineering stores sometimes have seasonal gear swaps. Denver has Wilderness Exchange. Boulder has Neptune Mountaineering. If you live in a metropolitan area, I'd suggest checking with local mountaineering/outdoor gear stores and any large local hiking club to see if they have used gear sales before your departure date. If you have any backpacking gear manufacturers based near you, you might check if they have special gear sales, too. GoLite is based about 30 miles from me and they have periodic gear sale days with deep discounts on backpacks and tents. Also, try looking on Craigs List, or forums of hiking clubs. I've gotten most of my gear, including clothing, tents, and backpacks at local gear exchanges. I found a Big Agnes SL2 tent
 cheaply at the Price Insanity website a few years ago, but had to backorder it.

There are plenty of used machetes in Rwanda that you could probably buy cheaply, but the shipping costs may be prohibitive, and you should clean off the dried blood thoroughly. If you're flying, remember to put the machetes in your checked luggage. Don't try to carry them onboard. However, you probably won't need machetes on the PCT unless you end up with particularly irritating hiking partners, or you have an insatiable bloodlust.

Cheers,

Gary