[pct-l] Adjusting after the hike, missing trail life

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:55:52 CST 2011

I so hear you both.  I hike and climb 3 or 4 times a week near where I live,
but it doesn't fill the longing for being again on that trail over such
great distances.  I got a call from Fidget yesterday from Kansas City,
wanting to talk over the same thing, she misses the trail so much.  She's
doing slide show talks all over town, hiking when she can, and has become a
boss at her job, but can't forget the authentic life she lived last summer.
 She's doing well, but can't get over the loss of the trail.  We had a great
conversation on the sadness we both still feel.

Last Monday, after the Muir shindig, Huff n Puff and Coyote and Tim and I
all climbed Mt. Diablo via the waterfall trail.  Absolutely gorgeous, and
the snow melt had the falls in full cascade, beauty.  Much of the
conversation however had to do with them deeply missing trail, and for a
future thru on the CDT.

I would never tell someone that the sadness after trail was any kind of a
reason not to hike a thru, but month after month of intense experience, and
that little wood nymph existence, is so very hard to leave.

Shroomer