[pct-l] PCT Thru-hiking Survey 2011

Rachel Liechty wood0652 at umn.edu
Tue Mar 8 12:18:24 CST 2011

Dear 2011 PCT Thru-hikers,

You received an email a few weeks ago inviting you to take a survey on
thru-hiking for my graduate research project. As promised, here is the link
to the survey for you to complete:

***Here is the survey link:

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/469849/PCT-Thru-hiking-Survey-2011

The survey should take you approximately 15 minutes to complete. If you have
any problems with the survey link please notify me immediately, and I will
re-send the link directly upon request.

Again, you were selected as a possible participant based upon research needs
and appropriate characteristics. The purpose of this survey is to gather
information about your thru-hiking experiences. This survey will supplement
a larger qualitative study along the PCT. Results may provide new
understanding for the way natural resource managers and researchers assess
nature-based travel and recreation behavior; plan for the distribution of
resources for these purposes; and evaluation of policy efforts when
reflecting on the social impacts of thru-hiking. This study intends to make
further contributions towards academic research and to the long distance
hiking community at large.

Response to this request is voluntary. By filling out this survey, your
consent is granted, and you agree to participate in the survey only. No
action may be taken against you for refusing to supply the information
requested. Your contact information is requested for follow-up purposes only
and will remain completely anonymous. When analysis of the questionnaire is
completed, all name files will be destroyed. Thus permanent data will be
anonymous.

Your participation will help to further knowledge and understanding about
recreation consumption environmental sustainability; moreover, how
particular characteristics of such experiences have practical implications
for land managers and policy makers. Your input is critical for the overall
long distance hiking community and trail organizations, as well as for the
future preservation of generations who seek similar experiences along
national scenic trails.

On behalf of the Department of Natural Resources Science and Management at
the University of Minnesota, thank you for your time and consideration.  If
you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by phone at (612)
481-5604, or e-mail at wood0652 at umn.edu. *If you have any questions or
concerns regarding this study and would like to talk to someone other than
the researcher(s), you are encouraged to contact the Research Subjects’
Advocate Line, D528 Mayo, 420 Delaware St. Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota
55455; (612) 625-1650.*

Sincerely,

Rachel Liechty

M.S. Candidate: Recreation Resource Management, Nature-based Tourism, and
Environmental Education
Department of Natural Resources Science and Management
University of Minnesota
115 Green Hall
1530 Cleveland Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55108-1027