[pct-l] SOBO

rcluster at comcast.net rcluster at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 14:16:48 CST 2011

It's the "follow it forever" part that surprises people here in Oregon also. There are several locations where people have decided to follow a stream downhill and discovered that their "forever" was just around the corner.

Recovering the body from some of those locations is not a lot of fun.

Now, as a "general" rule, from the PCT where you are generally up in the high country, this may turn out mostly OK. You may be in for a very long walk though, as in several days depending on where you start and which stream you choose. Better to not get lost, or have a planned bailout route, in the first place.

GPS is great, and I always carry one, but remember that your GPS is the most accurate when it is telling you the batteries are just about dead. Map, Compass, and the knowledge to use them is better.

Ron Cluster in Eugene
Snowplow
Past Lane County Search & Rescue volunteer