[pct-l] Trail Snacks with Horsepower

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Mar 9 10:10:25 CST 2011

Sugar Moma.....I mean patti,
Don't forget Macadamia nuts....they are ever sooooo delicious and at 200
calories per ounce they are the most calorie dense food I can think
of.....you would have to go to straight oil to beat that.
The other good thing about them Macadamia babies is that they are not so
dry tasting, so you don't have to drink a quart of water every time you
eat a nut.
Another good thing about them Macadamia babies, especially from a health
point of view, Macadamia nuts are high in Monounsaturated fat....that is
the good, most benign of fats, that will not effect your cholesterol or
prostaglandins (regulators of hormone action).

I depend heavy on Macadamia nuts on my JMT fastpacks to lighten my food
weight and to deliver the ''HORSEPOWER"....I mean calories....I need to
accomplish my goal.

So you see Sugar Moma...I mean patti....if you incorporate Macadamia
nuts in your menu you would lighten your pack weight and munch and
crunch as many of them delicious Macadamia babies as you like without
affecting your cholesterol and you would be so full of  ''HORSEPOWER''
that you would leave all the other hikers in the dust.....it worked for
me on my JMT speed hikes.

JMT Reinhold
Your Macadamia loving trail companion
Sugar Moma wrote:
this guy I hiked with in 09, Tuna Helper, gave me this recipe for my
book...600 calories per bar! and sooooooo delicious! The DRY 4-5 cups
rolled oats 1 cup shredded coconut 1 cup sun flower seeds 1/3 cup ground
flax 1 cup wheat germ 8 scoops protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
(use the scoop that comes with the protein powder) 1/2 tablespoon salt
The WET 2 cups peanut butter (your choice crunchy/creamy) 2 cups honey 2
cups chocolate/chocolate chips Melt the wet together and pour/mix into
the dry. A kitchen aid will save you a TON of work and your hands form
becoming sore. If you don't have a kitchen aid, kneading the ingredients
together with your hands is the best way. Once evenly mixed, spread
onto/into a cookie pan and roll flat. Lining the pan with wax or
parchment paper makes life a little easier, but isn't necessary. This
should yield ~20 big bars (5 1/4" x 2" x 3/4" - Fits well in a quart zip
lock) at about 600 calories and 23g of Protein per bar. Notes* 0. The
faster you knead the mix together the better. Take to long the and wet
ingredients cool off and start to cement your mix! 0a. If using a
Kitchen Aid, the time to stop the mixing is when the machine starts to
have a hard time in mixing the ingredients (it'll stat to kinda of
whine) 1. The key to making them into bars is the wet to dry ratio. Thus
one may exchange ingredients as long as the ratio stays pretty similar.
I'd suggest keeping the wet as is and experimenting with the dry
ingredients. If the mix it to dry, add more wet and vise verse. 2. 8
scoops of protein powder equates to a lot to my size bar and will give
you gas. Use the protein powder according to your needs. 3. Other DRY
things I used in my bars were: Quinoa flakes, powdered milk and goji
berries. I think rice crispys would be a good addition, yet haven't
tried them yet. 4. One can leave the chocolate chips whole and add them
with the dry, however if the bar heats up, they tend to melt out of the
bars and make a mess. 5. When the bars heat up, the natural oils do seep
out. It only becomes a problem if you don't have them in a zip lock. 6.
I used wax/parchment paper to separate bars in my pack. This kept them
from fusing into a large brick when warm. Sugar Moma