[pct-l] Trail Snacks with Horsepower

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 16:53:49 CST 2011

Sugar Mama wrote: I say it doesn't get any better than that ANYWHERE woohoo! are we hiking yet?
Switchback replies: Yes, knocking out 6 miles before 8 AM makes hiking a joy.  The smart hiker will divide the day into thirds.  The first third will be from 5 AM to 10 AM.  The second third will be from 10 AM to 3 PM.  The last third is from 3 PM to 7 PM.  This is a nice strategy.  You can cover 18-26 miles a day easily after you ramp up to your power speed.  This usually takes about 2 weeks on the trail depending on your conditioning.  Of course, later in your long distance hike, you can easily cover 25+ miles per day.

Nut Boy Reinhold and I use to do this before lunch out on the trail depending if we had a delay for Indian fighting.  Then we would only cover 45 miles a day.  Many a time we did the PCT Triple B.  But that was before records, civilization, etc.  But doing the the PCT Border to Border to Border is a piece of cake if you are really hardcore.