[pct-l] Latest date one can safely start a NOBO thru-hike

Dan Cross-Viola dan_cross43 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 13:58:18 CST 2011

Hello everyone,

I've been planning on a 5/9 start date in Campo, but my knee is still recovering from an injury I sustained in December.  My doctors suspect I'll need another month yet to heal, and then could start the weight-bearing rehab I'd need to do to get back into trail shape.  Because that timeline doesn't leave much room for error, I'm looking into Plan B and Plan C options.  My Plan B would be going NOBO, but leaving as late as possible.  My Plan C would be a SOBO thru-hike, starting around 7/1.  I am a fast hiker, did mostly 20+ mile hiking days on the AT, and probably 2-3 weeks worth of 30+ mile days.

That being said, I'm wondering how late I could safely start a NOBO thru-hike.  I'm eyeing the date of 6/1, which according to Postholer's Projected PCT Hiker Schedules would get me to Manning Park 10/9 at the fastest pace, 10/15 at the next fastest pace.  I know a late entry into WA puts me at danger of hitting early winter weather, so I'm looking to you all for suggestions.  Any ideas on the latest day to start at a fast pace are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bear Can