[pct-l] PCT 2011! Bears in the Cascades

Ryan Filanda hungry82 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:38:49 CST 2011

Hello PCTers,

I've been stalking and reading for a long time now but this is my first
post. My name is Ryan and after 3 years of suspense I'm so excited to start
living the PCT dream! Less than 2 months! I've got almost everything
together so far (except for the things I procrastinated about, i.e.
dehydrating!), but I've been wondering about the case of Bears in the
Cascades. I haven't read anything on this list concerning food storage
whether in canisters or otherwise, or in any other sources. I did see that
there are bears ROAR! in the northern cascades but there don't seem to be
any guidelines that I can find as to using canisters or hanging food, etc. I
assume just to hang my food but with bears everywhere figuring that one out,
should I plan to re-send my canister to myself somewhere in Washington? What
have others done in the past about keeping our big furry friends out of our
food in that neck of the woods? Thanks! See some of you very soon, I hope.

Cheers,
Ryan Filanda
"trail name TBD"