[pct-l] snowshoes?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Mar 10 20:01:28 CST 2011

In 2005 I left Manning on June 10 and carried snowshoes.  I didn't need
them, but a couple times used them just to use them.  What i found is
that even though the temps were close to freezing the snow was really,
really slick - glidy - I don't know how to describe it.  The crampons on
the bottom of the snowshoes balled up with snow and I spent way too much
time clearing the little spikes.  Someone later took a picture of the
rather steep pitch up to the high point on Washington's PCT, and there
were my snowshoe tracks, all snarly.  The snow had consolidated and it
was easier to just edge with my NB 807s than snowshoe.   I didn't
posthole much at all.   I finally abandoned the snowshoes at Harts
Pass.  Someone got a nice present!

Jeff.