[pct-l] Just good advice from "Iceaxe"

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:21:20 CST 2011

Mike wrote:

Anyway,I know you are a sage of the mountains,and im not interested in
wasting your time,but if its a bigger year than it already looks like on the
PCT,would snowshoes help you in a highhhhhh snow year if weight was a non
issue? Thanks,and Hike On.

If weight were a non-issue, then I can think of all kinds of things that
would be great to have on the trail.  <grin>

As much as I intuitively want to believe that snowshoes in the spring Sierra
are a great idea, I don't think I've ever heard of *anyone* who took
snowshoes north from Kennedy Meadows and later reported it to be a good
idea.  Uniformly, everyone who carries them ends up saying, "Meh."  There
might be someone I missed who was wildly ecstatic about their snowshoes and
if so, feel free to point them out, but I don't remember anyone like that
right now.

Eric