[pct-l] Traction on snow, gaitors, pants, and the reality of the whole mess

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:28:23 CST 2011

Well, one of the best post holing stories I've heard recently was told the
day after the Muir tour and BBQ, while I was hiking Mt. Diablo with Huff n
Puff and Coyote.  It seems their group kind of liked naked hiking day in
2008 (June 21), especially Huff n Puff, and they continued nakedly walking
the High Sierra as often as they could get away with it.  One day Huff n
Puff was blithely stepping from sun cup to sun cup in his altogether, when
he broke through and posted up to his nuts in the crunchy stuff.  Given the
scratchiness of the snow on his unprotected parts, he couldn't extricate
himself from the hole, and he needed the help of Coyote, and some other
equally beautiful naked woman to reach between his legs and lift him out.
 Coyote swears she didn't look, and tried not to touch, but it was to save
life and limb.  It's a very funny story to hear them tell it, and all the
more reason to hike naked in post holing conditions with a co-ed group, and
just one more reason for leaving the snowshoes behind.  I think JMT Reinhold
and the Pirate could learn something from this.  I mean, what's a post hole
among friends.

Shroomer