[pct-l] Applied Snow Skills Training Courses in Spring

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Mar 14 00:27:24 CDT 2011

We are trying to narrow down what our students want to learn as they prepare for their thru hike in the future. We are thinking of offering an Applied version of our "Basic" Snow Skills Training Course which would be taught during April and May. If you are interested in what the mountains will look like during the time frame when most thru hikers cruise the High Sierra, just how swollen the creeks typically are and how to cross them, and how to apply the skills you learned in our "Basic" Snow Skills Course for ascending, traversing, and descending snowy mountain sides and Passes, consider the following ideas and let us know if you'd be interested in attending:

What we are thinking of offering are these:

1. A short, 5-day snow trip from Echo Summit north to Meeks Bay, all along the PCT/TRTA here in Tahoe. This trip would teach the application of skills learned in the "Basic" into a daily-moving, backpacking style format at about 8 miles per day wholly on snow. Possible Date: April 6-10

2. This would be a longer version of the above conducted along the PCT between Kearsarge Pass and Bishop Pass and lasting about 10 or 12 days. This would be the ideal trip for any PCT thru hiker who wants to see what the Passes and creeks will look like when they go through the next year on their own thru hike. Serious Training Trip that builds on the "Basic" but allows the application in the exact time and place most thrus are most concerned about. Will include creek crossing training. Possible Date: May 16-26

3. Weekend trips during the Spring into Desolation Wilderness to teach navigation over snow and visible trail, through swollen creeks, and along wet, muddy trail, all typical of early-season backpacking when flowers are just coming out and snow is receding.

Which type of training trip would you be interested in to further your preparation and skills practice?

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd