[pct-l] Traction--Katoola choices

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Mar 14 08:35:55 CDT 2011

I believe I downsized, too. I was wearing a mens size 9 running shoe
and I have the small microspikes. I never really got to try them on
anything truly gnarly. I was disappointed in them on soft snow. Snow
gets stuck in the spikes. I was very impressed with them on icy snow.
And I was happy I could walk on rocks and logs and things in between
snow.

The thing with the rubber is there is a high coefficient of friction,
meaning that they won't just slip right off, especially if your shoes
have any rubber parts of their own. You could also add a shoelace if
you felt paranoid.

After seeing Shroomer's Katoola KTS crampons, I think I would rather
have those than the microspikes.

Diane