[pct-l] Traction--Katoola choices

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Mar 14 12:49:41 CDT 2011

> ...Trax which use the same rubber webbing as microspikes.

YakTrax use "natural rubber" webbing, whereas Kahtoola Microspikes use "elastomer"...
I'm not sure what realistic difference there would be regarding strength or failure
between the two, but natural rubber would be more prone to UV degradation and I suspect
also more likely to tear or rip than elastomer, IMHO...

Regarding Microspikes sizing, I have to agree with that it depends on where your personal
shoe size falls in a size range...
Note that the M size (Men's 7-10.5) has 8 spikes, whereas the L (Men's 10.5-14) has
10 spikes - two more in the heel area...
I wear size 12 - so I'd get the Large size and, if needed, use the 'shoelace trick' to
keep them snug (I think Diane suggested that earlier?)...  I think I'd prefer having the
two extra 'points' in the heel area...

But for 4.5 ounces more weight and 2.5 times the money, one can get the KTS Crampons instead.
Decisions, decisions......

YMMV, HYOH, etc.

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)