[pct-l] Lost Coast

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 21:21:22 CDT 2011

Hey Kevin,

> I don't blame you for wanting to defend yourself against an aggressive dog,
> but if they are still 8-12 feet away, are you really in any danger? I can't
> help but wonder how you're interpreting that they are coming at you "with
> intent to harm"?

8-14 feet for a dog is one stride for most dogs on a run ;)

> I'm not saying what you did was wrong, but I agree with Ron that having to
> pepper spray a dog 3 times in 4 months is a lot, or you have the worst luck
> ever!

Yeah, totally agree. It's more what Ben said.... up here, remember
that Humboldt County is weed-capital-of-the-world, 99% of people who
have dogs have pits to protect their 'precious goods'.

Middle of last year I had 4 pit bulls come right into our yard, one of
which got an entire 5 oz can of the hottest pepperspay that civis can
buy and it still kept coming. That one, sadly, depending on how you
look at it, did not make it out of my yard. The other three were put
down by the city.

@Ron, I totally hear what you are saying. Up here, every day on the
trail, is like breaching a house - because literally, it does not
matter if you are in a house or out in the backwoods, pits, rots, and
Presa Canario are everywhere - about the only thing not up here are
Doberman Pinschers, for which I am very grateful - as they are the
only dog which I actually fear.

John