[pct-l] Tarptent Contrail

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Mar 15 22:29:24 CDT 2011

I've owned a Contrail for a couple years now. A couple of times putting it
up I've had the end of my trekking pole slip out of the grommet and poke
thru the tent. I sort of got around this by putting the handle end of the
pole up. Then when the pole slipped, at least it didn't poke thru the tent.

I've come up with a solution which seems like it will work. I took one of
the plastic protectors that came on the pole, punch a hole thru the end of
the protector, used a small truss headed (wider than usual round head like
used in some electrical stuff) thru it. I made a spacer out of a insulating
grommet (used to protect wires going thru metal) by trimming it down to fit
into the grommet and also tight around the bolt; carefully poked a small
hole thru the tent with an awl, then pushed a plywood tee nut from the
outside thru the hole and attached the protector. I tried this out last
weekend in the wind here and it works great. I insert the pole tip and the
pole stays in place. The fit thru the tent is tight so I don't expect any
leakage and this attaches outside the mesh. I don't know how much weight I
added to my tent, but not much.

FWIW

--
Tortoise