[pct-l] Smart Phones as GPS Units - Tutorial on building your own maps

Daniel Coombes coombes.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 23:34:32 CDT 2011

I hiked the PCT last year and met a hiker that had his phone set up as a GPS
unit with some maps loaded onto it.  He was a dot moving along the marked
trail on his phone.  It was very cool.  I'm a computer dude so I decided to
put together a tutorial on building these maps for your phone.  I know
Android phones will work with this since their GPS can function without cell
signal.  Some smart phones GPS is reliant on a cell signal just to
function.  The tutorial covers the software (free) to build the maps plus
the phone app (free) that you will need for your phone.  I have provided the
trail files (KML) broken up into sections according to the usual town stops
for your convince.  All you have to do is choose the map type you want and
follow the tutorial.  Enjoy.

http://www.pct.mvmdata.com/forum/40-smart-phones-a-gps-units/54-how-to-create-maps-for-android-phones