[pct-l] first night out

Jeff Judd frotiss_lupus at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 15:28:29 CDT 2011

Gerry,

I'm sure this is an ongoing debate with people firmly rooted on either side, so
I will not attempt to change anyone's mind in earnest.

I would ask though: do you normally bring a firearm with you on day hikes,
overnight car camping, or short backpacking trips?  If you do, then I can see
the logic behind bringing a gun on the PCT as well.  However, if you normally
day hike et al without a gun,  I guess I just don't understand what makes the
PCT different in that regard.  It's not like you're backpacking through gang
territory.  I day hike on the PCT quite a bit in SoCal.  It seems like any other
perfectly safe trail to me.

I guess I'm just not sure what worries you about the PCT that having a gun
resolves.  If it's mugging or something I would contend that you should keep a
gun on you at all times as you're more likely (which even still is not likely at
all) to be mugged in your daily life than on the trail.

To each their own, just thought I'd throw out my hypothetical two cents.

-Jeff